Re: [OM] New Year's image with best wishes for the new year

Subject: Re: [OM] New Year's image with best wishes for the new year
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:24:28 -0600
> I think most RWD cars fit into that category. Trailing throttle snap
> oversteer….

So much of that depends on where the CG is, as well as the percentage
of weight that is beyond the axles. Some vehicles allow the driver to
hang the rear-end out at whatever angle he/she chooses and keep it
there indefinitely.

The RX7 I owned, was not one of them. That car would hold the road
like nothing I've ever driven before or since, but when it broke
loose, you had a handfull. That car snapped sideways instantly and
bringing it back in line was a chore. But it was classic "mid-engine"
in that regard. Mazda, in the second-generation RX7 introduced a
passive rear-stearing system that would adjust the angle of the wheels
depending on G-loading. It greatly helped, but when the wheels start
to slip, the angle would change and instead of a nice fluid change
from grip to slip, it just jumped from grip to YOWZA.

The TR6 had two problems that I can think of: 1. The rear-end was too
light for the amount of power the engine had. 2. The engine didn't
have enough power.

I won't even mention the geometry of the rear suspension which was
just plain backwards and would cause that car to wheel-hop like no
tomorrow.

Still, a beautiful car--one of the most attractive cars ever made.

AG (Yes, I miss Walt too) Schnozz