[OM] (OM) Missing images

Subject: [OM] (OM) Missing images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:30:53 +1300
Not really wanting advice; I'll have to figure it out for myself

But I'm really puzzled as to where and/or how some of my digital images
have vanished from my computer.
I know they were there 18 months ago, and I do have copies of some of
them where I saved them in directories for convenient CD copy.

I have a directory for each digital camera.

For every card load from each digital camera I create a fresh subdirectory,
and download the images from the full card into it. So, the E-1, for example,
now has about 76 subdirectories. Numbered from D-1 to D-76.

Some from Feb 2009 have vanished.

I do sometimes make mistakes, but normally I become aware of them pretty
soon. I wondered if cameras use the same image number/name for new
images taken soon after the first use of that number; but if that were the
case, I'd be finding a different image with the same number.

I have searched on my XP computer using the windows explorer search
function.

This discovery came about as I prepare to freshly re-size thumbnails and
images for my "commercial" website.

I decided to create a directory of "originals" with subdirectories matching
those of the web-site, and place copies of the originals in this "originals'
directory. It is easy to search for the originals, since I have used the camera
number as the first part of the web-image name. Using the Windows
Explorer "rename" function I highlight the file name and copy the relevant
portion of the name and enter it into the search box. Easy.

Then I discovered that some images (mainly E-510 images) can not be
found.

Puzzling.  Has any of you made this kind of discovery?

Brian Swale.