Re: [OM] Processed foods (was: The Puerto Rico that Few See)

Subject: Re: [OM] Processed foods (was: The Puerto Rico that Few See)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:14:12 -0800
On 1/5/2011 9:51 AM, Charles Geilfuss wrote:
>    No collards eh. Just haven't had them prepared the right way.

Could well be true. I haven't hated those I've had, just didn't particularly
enjoy them. With so many other yummy things
in the cabbage family, well . . .

I do have a sort of personal policy of revisiting foods I don't like, whether a
bit or a lot. Parsnips still haven't
made the grade with the exception of a rather sophisticated preparation of a
puree in a rather fancy restaurant.

Still don't care much for yams/sweet potatoes. I did try some this Christmas
season that I thought were OK, but that's
'cause the abundance of cinnamon, perhaps other spices and the marshmallows on
top almost completely covered up the
original flavor. Although served as a side dish, it would make a good desert.
:-)

I think sweet potato pie could be good, but it appears that the traditional
form, at least all of several I've tried
over the years, some in the South, must have a level of sugar that just ruins
them for me. And with pumpkin available, I
don't see the need to try making one for myself.

> If ever you find yourself in Charleston call and I'll prepare a batch for
> you. They are the one vegetable I have to tell my children to slow down on
> and make sure everyone has had their fair share.

It's a date! Probably be a while before our RV adventures get that far from
home. I just looked up collards and see that
there are several varieties. That may well make a difference, as well. I'm the
weirdo who eats the raw kale decorating
dishes at restaurants, so who knows what I'll like? :-)

Moose