[OM] OT: industrial/factory meat

Subject: [OM] OT: industrial/factory meat
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:10:24 -0600
All this talk of eating "mechanically separated" or whatever meat brings
me back to thinking of the deer hunting I dearly love:  Climb into deer
stand, patiently wait for deer to appear, place crosshairs of scope on
deer's chest, squeeze trigger, watch deer run 50-80 yards, wait.  I'll
spare you from the details of field dressing (aka "gutting").  Next drag
deer through the woods to the camp.  Then hang deer, skin while still
warm, divide into quarters;  remove backstraps and tenderloins, then
attack the hind legs.  Lots of work with a knife, including removing
fascia covering muscles and cutting meat away from tendons.  Remove all,
as in all, fat, which tastes, well, really bad.  And no cutting a bone
with a saw--it's all knife work.  Cut into steaks and roasts.  Wrap cuts
with plastic, then freezer paper.  Trim smaller pieces of meat away from
bone (no robots allowed in deer camps yet) with knife for ground venison
or sausage.  Hang remainer of carcass in nearby pine tree for the
chickadees and woodpeckers to feast on for a couple months.
    It's lots of work and takes lots of time, and I figure the cost of a
pound of venison (non-resident hunting license $150, time at $0.02/hour,
land taxes, etc.) has to be over $20.  But I still begin anticipating
the next November deer season sometime in February or March.  If you
want to buy affordable meat for a meal, however, corners have to be cut.
Dean