Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:52:20 -0800
We're right on it. We're lucky in that where we are, there is a ready market
for "contraband" food, like raw milk, fermented fruit juice, heritage varieties
of fruits and vegetables from saved non-GMO seed, and self-butchered meat. They
can't possibly police every little five acre plot.

The ones most in trouble are the smaller "legit" operations, like the certified
raw milk dairy in California that distributes through a dozen or so health food
stores. They're big enough to make a fine target, but too small to buy their
own Congressman.

So the consolidation in the food business -- lauded by neo-cons as "the
efficiency of the free market" or "weeding out the deadwood" -- will continue,
until 99% of the people will only be able to buy their food from a few
mega-companies.

(Is it really "weeding out the deadwood" if you purposely kill the tree?)