Re: [OM] Food (was: Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few to

Subject: Re: [OM] Food (was: Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:11:09 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The French use the terms 'industrial' and 'artisanal' to make the distinction
> - especially for bread.

Yes, that's a great distinction. We market to the "artisanal" crowd, even
somewhat cynically. (We've advertised that we sing to our goats as we milk
them, which seems to draw a certain clientele... :-)

But the real problem is the subsidies made to the "industrial" system. Common
folk can't afford "artisanal" food -- not because the better food is too
expensive, but because the industrial food is artificially cheap. Eliminate all
the subsidies INCLUDING cheap fossil fuel, and artisanal food would actually be
cheaper.

This situation cannot continue. Energy is about to get very expensive, and
labour is going to get a lot cheaper. People will have to spend closer to 1/3rd
of their effort obtaining food (which is the pre-industrial average) rather
than the 1/10th they spend now.

The obligatory photo -- how artisanal food is made:
        http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Image:Carol_making_perry.jpg

The raw milk movement provides a real solution to the problem of food-borne
illness -- because raw milk consumers make sure their milk comes from small,
pasture-based farms and healthy animals unlikely to harbor pathogens and
unlikely to contribute to water pollution, and because raw milk builds immunity
to disease-causing organisms that are simply a natural part of the world in
which we live. -- Ron Schmid