Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:32:47 -0800

----- Reply message -----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Jan 6, 2011 5:01 am
Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists
see
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bob wrote

> If you wander in at breakfast to most any McDonald's, you'll find it
> filled with elderly folks, most of whom seem to be having a reasonably
> good time. A very social hour. And they eat there because breakfast is
> filling, and inexpensive. (The same can be said of breakfast at Moody's
> Diner in Waldoboro, which is also filled with the elderly because the food
> is inexpensive. And good.)

I've been to the USA only twice. The first time was by ship on the 6-weeks
trip via the Panama Canal from NZ to England where I was to study for 2
years. We called in at Fort Lauderdale for about a day. What an education
that was; first time I had ever seen such a supermarket/mall  (now I suspect
it was a Mall), but we didn't see much in a day.

The second time was in 1990 when I went for 2 weeks to The Netherlands
where my then wife had taken our two kids to attend a Dutch school as part
of our process to get them entitlement to a Dutch passport. ( It worked; they
have dual nationality and are now EU citizens as well as NZ citizens, so my
son is now legally able to work in France where he is currently at a French
ski resort for 6+ months)

I then had 3 weeks over ( I had arranged 5 weeks' leave from work) which I
used to visit old NZ friends then in the USA, and Hawaii for a 4-day photo-
shoot.  The first visit was in Vermont (the same friend who was in the
restaurant in NZ 3 years ago when my current Facebook pic was taken);
there, apart from one special meal when we had an evening meal on the
shores of Lake Champlain, all meals were prepared at their home.
Then across to Vancouver (Oregon) to visit an old flatmate of Rotorua days
and his wife. I was totally amazed. Not ONE meal was prepared and eaten
in the home. We went out for all meals including breakfast.
That was an education for me, I have to say.
I have many thoughts about that, and I don't propose to share them.

I have also never seen so many obese people in one place, either; although
I suspect that it would be easy to challenge that assertion these days in
southern suburbs of Auckland NZ.

Suffice to say that if I go out to a restaurant (other than when travelling)
once a year, that's a lot. I used to buy take-aways about once a week in
Christchurch when living on my own; usually a fish meal, to which I would
add my own cooked greens.

Brian Swale.