Re: [OM] Dreamweaver

Subject: Re: [OM] Dreamweaver
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:08:02 -0500
Dreamweaver is a good program, I use it daily and have for several years. It's
one of the top (if not the top) coding programs for web development.

If you are on a Mac, I'd also look at BBEdit, that's a great program too, and
what I used before I ended up using DW. In some ways I prefer BBEdit's
philosophy, etc. Plus it's cheaper too.

Eclipse is another good program, (I think it's open source?) that is designed
around coding/web development. It's a bit more of a learning curve perhaps than
DW, but also at least as powerful if not more.

Using a CMS (content management system) such as drupal doesn't prevent  one
from having to get their hands dirty with text-editing and coding. They are two
different things.

For basic websites (e.g. not a lot of complexity, PHP/CF/ASP/etc.) straight
coding without a CMS is fine, faster, and easier.  For bigger projects, or with
multiple people doing the work, a CMS can make things easier but brings their
own issues into the mix (e.g. you should really have a good knowledge of server
configs for webhosting, along with PHP and javascript to master Drupal from a
developer standpoint).

-Ed