Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike

Subject: Re: [OM] OT CMS and suchlike
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 01:20:49 +1300
Moose wrote

> On 1/10/2011 10:10 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
> > Perhaps too big a jump at this stage, but have you considered hosting
> > your own
> webserver? All you really need is someone's discarded PC (low-traffic
> serving doesn't take a lot of horsepower.) and a copy of Linux of your
> choice.
>
> It does, however, require decent bandwidth. Unless something has changed
> dramatically, that' something Brian doesn't have.
>
> In addition, from my perspective, it requires time and effort that I would
> prefer to use in other pursuits. Also, when a piece of hardware fails in a
> server farm, it's transparent to me. When it fails in some old box stashed
> out of the way at home, I have to do the trouble shooting and
> repair/replacement and possibly reload everything.
>
> I can get from 50GB to unlimited space from ISPs for far less annual cost
> than I think my time is worth. They all provide the basics, PHP, MySQL and
> other things I forget. With essentially unlimited space, uploading my own
> copy of gallery, CMS, whatever, software is simply not a problem. Even
> with a slow connection, there's always the option of letting it run while
> one sleeps.
>
> So unless I still got a thrill at loading and learning new OSs and making
> old hardware work, there's just no payout for me.
>
> Moose

Moose is correct for me at the moment.
Yes, I have thought about that a lot. And at one time I might have done it
just for the challenge.
But as I consider my age and my capabilities,  and decide on priorities for
my time, I think doing my own server is out of the question.
There's also the not inconsiderable consideration of dealing with hackers.

The Singapore ISP I use has real experts. Even so, some of my pages were
invaded and malicious code was inserted. They dealt with that and I installed
a more challenging password to assist. On my own I'd have had a real
problem.
They provide a great service for me at a very good cost. 50GB for USD30
per year. That's better than I could get locally by a considerable margin.
I pay NZ$ 60 a month locally for my "old" site which is full at 50 MB + mail.
When I find the time I will migrate my old site to the new one. I'd do it
sooner
but for the complication that the old site was authored on my Windows 97
machine and that is not compatible with the software needed to upload to
the new site.  XP is.

At this stage, if I can "master" ( Ha !)  PHP and MySQL I will be pretty
content.

One day I might get broadband, but from what I've seen the speed and
service in Clyde is minuscule compared with what's available at Cromwell
just 23 km away. Just not worth it right now.

I have just persuaded (not difficult) my partner's daughter-in-law (at
Cromwell) to download for me the approx 150 MB of files I need to install
and run PHP and MySQL on my own machine. I will collect them later today
on CDROM. It would have taken me hours and hours at the frequent low
speed here of 19kb/s, to download them, occupying the phone line at
inconvenience to others, and probably being disconnected countless times

Brian Swale.