Re: [OM] Too much chat, not enough images

Subject: Re: [OM] Too much chat, not enough images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:46:16 -0800

On 1/7/2011 7:36 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> I believe it is due to heavy JPEG compression (59KB is just too small for the
> size), problem shown on my LCD too.

You're both right. I've seldom processed images with such subtle tonal detail
in the shadows. I should have looked at
the results of my standard process for the web before posting in this case.

Now that I've looked into it, I find that is seems to be impossible to save
such subtlety satisfactorily in a JPEG..
What you are seeing, especially in the face of the small hill rising from the
lake, is insubstantial mist floating in
front of the almost featureless, dark hillside. That's clear in the original,
and quite lovely, I think.

It's still fairly nice downsized, but still at 16 bits. Even at highest JPEG
quality, which I think(?) doesn't compress,
the conversion to 8 bit and JPEG causes loss of some subtlety and a slightly
chunky look to the edges. Going slightly
lighter helps somewhat, although at the expense of the look I wanted.
Still a little short of what I would like, but much improved.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Coastal%20Maine/Mt_Desert_and_Acadia/Cadillac_Mountain&image=_MG_1145.jpg>
And
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Coastal%20Maine/Mt_Desert_and_Acadia/Cadillac_Mountain&image=_MG_1146cr.jpg>

Misty Moose