Re: [OM] Old Griz photos posted

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Griz photos posted
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:30:54 -0600
> I like #2 despite the very large blown spot.  Normally a no-no for me
> but it's the right thing for this shot.

Thank you.  I did go for the high-key shot here. The current trend is
to avoid solid whites and blacks like the plague, but from an artistic
perspective I really like solid tops and/or bottoms in a picture--like
what Velvia gives. It gives a picture snap without resorting to
cranking up the saturation slider or the highlight-recovery slider
which then turns everything into Disney-colored mud.

The Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 lens is showing a massive amount of
ghosting. But what do you expect when you point the camera directly at
the sun while dialed in to 300mm. I keep thinking that I should sell
this lens now that I have the Zuiko 300/4.5, but each lens has
distinct advantages and the Tokina doesn't have any CA. Bokeh of the
Zuiko is much better, though.

Focus point was on the nearest branches which threw the sun out of
focus. That did help soften the blown-out blob a bit, but
interestingly to me, the E-1 processed the image in a way that pulled
the highlights back into range and put the color-cast across the
highlight. As I didn't shoot this in RAW, I'm not sure exactly what
happened in the highlights, but the E-1 handled them good enough.

So, why did I use the lesser-quality JPEG-HQ instead of JPEG-SHQ?
Because when the in-camera sharpening is turned down and shooting at
ISO 400, it acts as a natural noise-reduction algorithm. Wierd, but it
works.

Oh, and I was braindead and forgot to change my base settings to SHQ.

:)

AG