Re: [OM] Mystery Solved [Pretty much OnT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mystery Solved [Pretty much OnT]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:46:47 -0800
On 1/13/2011 6:24 PM, Willie Wonka wrote:
> It was approximately ten years ago when few of you begged George (yes the
> neocon George...:) to tell you where the picture of a beautiful waterfall
> with waters lit by the sun was taken.  He wouldnt tell, but I am here to
> proclaim that you are not in George's mercy no more....

Did he not tell? I know I had a brief correspondence with him about it at the
time. Maybe he was willing to discuss it
off-line because I knew where it was?

It's not like a giant secret in some photography circles. Galen Rowell
published a beautiful shot of it and a
description of how it happens and how he came across it in his book Mountain
Light in 1986, pages 22-23.

> I opened my February issue of Outdoor Photographer and there it was, the
> waterfall in its entire glory.  Here is a link to some info from OP's website:
>
> http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/michael-frye/2011/01/horsetail-fall-season.html

That color looks weird to me, I've never got that sort of yellow from late, low
light. Galen's Kodachrome 25 image is
very red, and George's images are quite similar. I wonder if smog in the
central valley is changing the light.

> It appears that there is more info about it by clicking the links than the
> actual printed article has, but I would recommend that you buy the magazine
> tho, because the history of its discovery is nicely told.  Ten pts to the
> first one to tell who discovered the phenomenon.

I know from his book that Galen Rowell discovered it for himself, not having
heard about it from anyone else.

I'd be surprised, though, if others hadn't known about it before that. There
have been non-native folks living there
through the winter for well over 150 years, and I imagine few were blind. I
find it hard to believe St. Ansel didn't
know earlier. But it's only with color that it really is spectacular.

As far as I know, though, Galen was the first to publish a photo and write
about it. Before that , it was a secret.

> Anywho, if you are in or around CA, you might want to schedule a trip.  I
> know I'd like to have this on my wall...

It's a dodgy business. It only occurs for 3-4 days in February, when the angle
of the setting sun threads its way
through the other rocks of the valley to hit the falls. But in February, well,
it's often overcast or foggy and snows a
lot there, so the light doesn't get there every year. Then too, it requires
falling water, which isn't always happening
at the right time, if it's been cold enough that snow isn't melting and/or the
stream is frozen

George said that in the 8 years between his first good shots and when he posted
it and newer ones, only one was good.

Moose