Re: [OM] PHP

Subject: Re: [OM] PHP
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:28:21 -0500
Perhaps you need a better book. I found Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle
pretty good. It is a fast read if you are already C or C++ literate.

PHP is a scripting language that needs to be interpreted on the server, which
then outputs html for a client. Besides apache server, there is microsoft IIS.

Since apache is highly customizable, you install the modules you want.
If you prefer pearl or python for scripting, you install those modules.
I find it a lot easier to install apache in ubuntu with apt-get install...
There is a lot more online help for apache on linux than apache on windoze.

An easy solution (at least for linux hackers on windoze) is to download
VirtualBox for windoze, then create an ubuntu virtual machine that can
run the server. Either edit your code in the VM or figure out how to map
a directory to share with the virtual machine, so you can easily transfer
files. There may even be some VM's already set up you can download.
Set the VM up with Bridged networking, so it looks like another computer
on your network. This is the better way to test if also your host service
is linux based.

I don't think the open source community deliberately tries to place obstacles
for you. How long have you been using windoze? If all you ever new was
unix/linux, and for some strange reason you need to run Word for Windoze,
it would be equally obscure. And then you would be frustrated you could not
run scripts to do things, or do something that Windoze does not provide
out of the box.

I can't imagine how ordinary people actually solve computer issues. I'm
very skilled, but installing some drivers, or Windoze networking, can
be equally daunting.

Wayne