Re: [OM] DrT's big Olympus sale

Subject: Re: [OM] DrT's big Olympus sale
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:13:09 -0500
Hi Andrew et al.,

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your point of view.
Seeing how strongly people feel about the unwritten etiquette, I will not
post anything else here along these lines.

Yes, I have told my 3d friends, "guys, I have some unusual 3d items in ebay
right now, like this rare Stereo Realist Custom with Seton Rochwite (the
inventor of the camera) polarized attachment. I do not want to force any
unrealistic prices but I don't want to give them away either, so I have
these auctions going on, starting at $0.01 and no reserve.  Go and take a
look and maybe you will find something of interest you can get for a decent
price.  Here are the links."  No one had a problem with that.

Will that generate a discussion?  Yes, it is possible.  Someone might say "I
did not know that Seton Rochwite made polarized attachments for the Stereo
Realist.  Does anyone know how many he made?" And start the ball rolling.

I belong to lists that encourage posting items for sale, even if it is links
to ebay auctions.  Like the View-Master list.  There are thousands of
View-Master items in ebay every day.  If I have something unusual that might
interest View-Master collectors, I will let them know.  No problem with
that.  I am just very careful not to over do it.

Reading other people's items for sale is interesting for me too.  Yes, they
are in ebay, accessible to everyone, but ebay is a big place, so I do not
mind someone letting know of a sale I might have interest in. I have
actually bought many items like that from friends, that I would have
otherwise been unaware of.  And I have seen  interesting discussions
generated from these announcements.

George