Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running - no make that driving

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running - no make that driving
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:49:00 -0500
I love taking pictures of big tracks.  There is something appealing in these
pictures, seen in 3d.  It is like "being there" next to this huge truck, in
the middle of the highway.

I also like taking hyperstereo pictures of the clouds.  This is very simple:
If you see a nice cloud formation to the side (not in front of you), take
one picture, wait a couple of seconds, take another picture.

The motion of the car provides the "stereo base", which is huge, considering
the speed of the car.  But the distance of the clouds is also large.  The
result is that if you combine these two pictures in a stereo pair, you see
depth in the clouds.  It is called hyperstereo because the stereo base is
much larger than the spacing of the eyes.

To take these cloud hyperstereos you only need a 2d camera, not a 3d.
Anyone of you can take these.  If not from a car, then from an airplane.
You are sitting there with a 2d camera in your hands and nice clouds outside
the window.  What better way to use your time than take 3d hyperstereos of
the clouds?

A hyperstereo of clouds while driving during the National Stereoscopic
Association convention last July, got me first Place in the Fuji sponsored
3d competition for pictures taken with a Fuji 3d camera during the
convention.   Even though I used a 3d camera, I used the "Advanced 3d mode"
where the camera takes one (2d) picture, waits a user-set time, then take
another (2d) picture, then combines the two pictures in a 3d picture that
you can actually see in the camera's 3d display.

My prize was $500!!!  This is the first (and possibly last) time I have
actually won money for one of my pictures!!

George