Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:20:45 -0500
"Cable mile" or "cable foot" is traditionally used to refer to the length of
the (copper) local loop. In the days when all loops originated at the
central office, the cable distance could never be less than the
as-the-crow-flies distance or the along-the-streets distance. But, as AG
notes, the loop these days may start at a DLC or "remote" that is connected
digitally - wire or fiber - to the CO from somewhere in your neighbourhood.
The local loop proper starts at your neighbourhood DLC/remote, and
consequently can be very short even when you're far from the CO.

But, as AG also notes, the technique to carry and multiplex the signals from
CO to remote may constrain what dialup rate you can get. The physics of
getting high data rates out of copper simply don't apply over these
multiplexed digital lines.

Michael