Re: [OM] Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varimagni))

Subject: Re: [OM] Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varimagni))
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:38:19 +0100
Hi Mike and all,

From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>I let a NIB CV Color Heliar 75mm F2.5 in OM mount slip thorough  my
>fingers a few months back.  sort of an odd FL and had some CA

Not sure if that is a _true_ Heliar design...

AFAIK, the Heliar (like the current, highly acclaimed CV 50/3.5) is a
three-group, five-element design -- much like a Tessar with a cemented
doublet instead of the front element <
http://www.cameraquest.com/jpg6/VC10153.jpg>

But the 75/2.5 looks like yet another formulation of the Planar / double
Gauss: <http://www.cameraquest.com/jpg4/vm-75.25.gif>

BTW, I own the CV Heliar 75/2.5 in LTM, although it seems to be my least
used rangefinder lens...

Back to the 50/3.5, some say it's one of the sharpest lenses on this
planet... but it's hard for me to justify spending $649 on such a
'pedestrian' (focal-aperture specs wise) lens :-(

So I eventually got the sadly discontinued Skopar 50/2.5 for much less. This
is a very compact (RF 50mm's are often rather long) but surprisingly *heavy*
lens. Compared to other Voigtländer offerings, it may trade some technical
quality for artistic rendering -- it's "sharp enough" but IMHO it gives a
beauuutiful, smoooooth (but never, ever soft) character to the pics. Some
samples direct from DNGs ("developed" with Apple's Preview app) off the M8:

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4875498024/sizes/l/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4874929083/sizes/l/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4874935297/sizes/l/>

A special comment for <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4874876963/sizes/l/>: the original was
badly underexposed (my bad...) and it was corrected "quick-and-dirty" with
the aforementioned Preview app -- having had breakfast a lot of times there,
I'm still amazed at how life-like are rendered those textures!

...but that Kodak KAF-10500 sensor should have something to do with it, too
;-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)