Re: [OM] IMG: 280 megapixels

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 280 megapixels
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:21:30 -0500
Getting good dmax is a matter of knowing your materials. Some inkjet papers
only give good dmax with some inksets. Mismatch them, and you get poor dmax.

Here's an example: Somerset Photo-Enhanced Velvet is a popular paper among
fine art photographers. Its actually a cotton etching paper (made for making
prints from copper or zinc plates in a press) with a coating on it to allow
it to receive inkjet inks (all inkjet papers are coated like this, or else
the ink would absorb in the paper and spread out by capillary action). Its a
beautiful paper, but its coating isn't compatible with Epson's Ultrachrome
inkset. I tried it years ago in the old Epson 2200 printer I used to have
and the results sucked. Very poor dmax, which made the whole image look
flat.

Epson later introduced their own version, Epson Velvet Fine Art paper. I
think its the same Somerset Velvet Etching paper base, but with a coating
made by Epson for their inks. It makes GORGEOUS prints, with deep rich
blacks and good midtone contrast and highlights. Its my favorite matte
surface inkjet paper. Using a paper matched to your inks gives results.

Another paper I really like, which I am using in my R2400, is Ilford Gold
Fibre Silk. Despite the strange name, it is not a silk surface paper, it is
a glossy with the same slight texture that fiber base glossy darkroom papers
like Ilford Multigrade IV FB have. It gives the best prints of all, they're
indistinguishable from prints on MG-IV FB. I've showed them to even the most
dyed in the wool haters of all digital processes and every time sent them
away with their beliefs destroyed. Just because you've never seen a good
inkjet black & white print does not mean that they don't exist. Frankly, few
people, even professionals, know how to make them right.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook