Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:39:59 -0500
The amount of sweating can be an individual thing, or can even change with
practice.  I once saw a runner running in 10F in one of these races, with a
T-shirt and shorts and drenched in sweat during most of the race.

Apparently, early on your body burns carbohydrates at a very fast rate
(which generates a lot of water since carbohydrates are tied with water in a
ratio of 1:5, hence releasing a lot of water) and then later on runs out of
carbohydrates which stops your sweating and now you have hard time keeping
warm.  My body must burn carbohydrates more slowly because it takes me a
while to sweat and only very little in cold weather and consistent during
the hours of running.  I just need to keep my hands and head covered and
don't get excessively hot or cold or sweaty or dry.

As Ken pointed out, wearing clothes that allow the sweat to be carried out
of the body is important too.

Sweating a lot can be a problem if you are carrying a camera in your hands
or pocket.  It is hard to keep the sweat out of the camera.  I bring a
zip-log bag to protect my camera if sweat or rain could be a problem.

One problem that runners face in long runs in cold weather is that the water
or Gatorade that they carry tends to freeze so you are left without anything
to drink.  Running alone in remote trails in very cold weather is dangerous.
If you have an accident and stop running, you get cold quickly.  If you
don't have a new battery in your cell phone (or even if you do) it might run
out due to the cold.  With cold fingers you might not be able to dial
numbers.  You can get into serious trouble quickly, so the advice is to
always run with company, take precautions and let people know where you are.

George