Re: [OM] OT, was Auto Bellows on Olympus and Canon digital SLRs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT, was Auto Bellows on Olympus and Canon digital SLRs
From: Alan Wood <alanmwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:01:53 +0000 (GMT)
Chris Barker wrote

> I was quite interested to note from your website that you and I were working
> on IBM mainframes at around the same time, in London.  I was at Morgan
> Guaranty on a 360 (or 370) 135.

Chris

It is hard to believe that was 40 years ago.  We had some System 360
mainframes,
with rows of huge tape drives and disk drives and a few massive printers.  I
had
to feed in trays of punched cards, fetch the tapes and disks from the library
and mount them, and keep the printers fed with boxes of continuous stationery.
We worked shifts because the computers had to be kept running 24 hours a day in
order to cover their costs.  Most companies did not have their own computers in
those days, so we had lots of important customers, including the Treasury,
British Petroleum and Allders (a chain of department stores).

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)