Re: [OM] OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Internet connection speed
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:00:38 -0800
> From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 1/18/11 6:42 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> For DSL, your bandwidth to your local switch is the full bandwidth you
>> purchase.
>
> As with all questions of moderate or greater complexity, the correct answer
> is, "It depends." :-)
>
> At the start of DSL synchronisation, the DSL line card at the switch/remote
> and your DSL modem negotiate the highest speed practical on the actual line
> at that moment. That speed is constrained by the maximum configured, but
> rarely reaches it due to line conditions. It's not just loop length, but
> (especially with old loops) phantom taps from abandoned service, condition
> of splices and/or moisture in the junctions/splice sleeves, state of the
> insulation, presence of loading coils that should have been removed, etc.

Yes, certainly true. I know we get nowhere near the rated maximum speed -- and
that's after Telus came out and replaced the wiring between the pole and the NI!

(I do want to go through the house after the NI and clean up our wiring act.
There are wires going off everywhere, but we only use four outlets.)

My point, however, is that DSL speeds are generally more consistent and
predictable than cable speeds, albeit at a slower peak speed.

> I know they
> upgraded much of the island from "long-loop" DSL to fiber...

I wish!

There is an OC-3 that goes by the house, but you need much more than I'm
willing to pay to tap into that!

What I REALLY would like to do is get my parents on high-speed. The phone
company says they don't qualify for DSL, and the cable company wants $1,000 to
run cable from the road to the house, which is about 300 feet from the road.
And yet there's a charter school across the street that streams "one-eyed
babysitter" Channel One into a couple dozen classrooms at the same time...