Re: [OM] OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Internet connection speed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:36:01 -0800
On 1/18/2011 4:20 PM, Michael Collins wrote:
> On 1/18/11 6:42 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> For DSL, your bandwidth to your local switch is the full bandwidth you
>> purchase.

Ah, well, as Mike says, that depends. . .

> As with all questions of moderate or greater complexity, the correct answer
> is, "It depends." :-)
>
> At the start of DSL synchronisation, the DSL line card at the switch/remote
> and your DSL modem negotiate the highest speed practical on the actual line
> at that moment. That speed is constrained by the maximum configured, but
> rarely reaches it due to line conditions.

I was paying for their slowest speed. Unfortunately, my local copper wouldn't
support 1.5Mb, only 768Kb.

> It's not just loop length, but (especially with old loops) phantom taps from
> abandoned service, condition of splices and/or moisture in the
> junctions/splice sleeves, state of the insulation, presence of loading coils
> that should have been removed, etc.

Now you are talking about the Telco copper here. I was also told by a lineman
who got my phone running again long ago
that the particular  equipment on poles in my area simply didn't last all that
well over the decades. He said he merely
touched my pair a couple of junctions away, and it fell away from the push
down, corroded/broken.

I say simply Telco 'cause it's been AT&T, PacBell, SBC, then AT&T again. the
names have changed, but the copper hasn't.
I hear AT&T is now starting to run fiber and it will be here any year now. :-)
 In the meantime, the cheapest ComCast
internet is much faster than the DSL I can get.

Wired Moose