[OM] Tough H2O camera/housing--suggestions?

Subject: [OM] Tough H2O camera/housing--suggestions?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:33:02 -0500

Kind of stumped for a possible water proof/tough cam solution.  Never thought
the minimal use for the $240 Canyon  water proof case for the G9 would be used
enough.  Seems NIB ones are still out there but are the same price or more.
Missed a snipe by a few dollars for $120 or so which is about the  max amount I
would spend for that item and they seem to go for a bit more.

Why now?  Well trip to Dominica coming up in April and will likely do some
canyoning and the snorkeling/diving is said to be very very good.  The
Canyoning  outfitters  will rent a GoPro helmet camera for $35. I Think they
are fixed WA. . Still might be nice to have something, I think, at least for
snorkeling too.   Perhaps the helmet thing is better as less
intrusive/detracting. I have never seen or used them.
http://www.extremedominica.com/gallery.cfm#

Ha, in Greece we inadvertently ran into the the Kalamatta hiking club (good
thing) and made a quick exit out of a Canyon repelling down a few times with
just a rope.  (I had glorified sandals on that time--long story)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_tough

D10--CHDK hack will work and can shoot RAW, but base ISO IQ seems wanting on
the comparative site at imaging resource and it only goes to 35mm equiv. on the
wide end. the previous Oly 8000 or 8010 didn't look that hot in IQ either at
least compared to similar cams . Perhaps the Panny TS-3 or the new Oly compact
guys.  Haven't seen any samples of the TS3 yet but haven't looked in a bit.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11010608olympustg610tg310.asp

My sister-in-law (identical twin to my wife) is coming along and thinking of a
new cam and if I could in good conscience recommend one of the new water proof
guys, that might suffice. If is is nice enough at base ISO I might swing for it
anyway. There seems to be too much of a penalty up to now for these compared to
the land lubbing ones.

Behind the scenes is the upcoming supplement /replacement of the G-9  with a
MFT (Hurray up Oly, mebbe even GH2) or perhaps  XZ-1 (spiffy water proof case
for that exists, I know) but that will always be larger than a compact tough
digicam.  I see nice cases for DSLR's but they are mucho dinero and waaaay more
than necessary for  very limited use.

Someone must have thought this through here.  Any comments appreciated.

 ( A nice OM kit always goes with me of course.)

A Stumped Mike.