Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:37:44 -0600
Of course, it varies from locality to locality, but overall, people have
been quite satisfied with cable broadband. The providers do a good job of
adding loops and throttling the hogs.

However,

FUD Time:

"Net Neutrality" sounds great to the average consumer, but is a double-edged
sword. Net Neutrality requires that providers do absolutely no policing of
the hogs. If you have a neighbor that decides to start his own ISP out of
the house and steal 100% of the bandwidth on your loop, there is nothing we
can do about it. Traffic shaping? Gone. In fact, under the strictest
interpretation of the law, filtering out hacker attacks would also be
illegal. Net Neutrality means that it's the wild-wild-west with absolutely
no interference from anybody for any reason. Personally, I feel that if you
running a business on-line, then you should be paying for business-class
services--especially if you are trying to get free bandwidth. This is why
most providers limit upload speeds while download speeds are extremely high.

Back to line-quality for DSL. There are obviously technical issues that
might prevent the maximum speeds DSL is capable of. Distance is the biggest
factor. Pair-sharing is another. But if your line has noise issues, then
this is a regulated item and the phone company is required by law to fix it.

Some phone companies will run automated line-test routines during the night
that test your phone line. These tests (sometimes referred to as Fortel
Tests), check loop-length, bridge-taps, capacitance, voltage, etc. There are
thresholds which will trigger an automatic service call to repair the line.

I've got 15Mb ADSL at the condo. Unless there is some network issue, life is
pretty good for me, since the DSLAM I'm on is about 20 feet away from the
backbone routers that take the traffic directly to the world. Those are some
really really fat pipes.

AG