Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:07:37 -0800
> "Net Neutrality" sounds great to the average consumer, but is a double-edged
> sword. Net Neutrality requires that providers do absolutely no policing of
> the hogs.
I totally agree. Free speech my ass.  Everybody wants "free lunch". Why
should I pay for the infrastructure for the hogs?

However there is another side to this coin. In Canada for example the
TelCo's want to charge additional fees for BoB's (bunches of bytes) over
a certain monthly amount. I believe letters are going out to subscribers
right now.  All fine and fair in my book. However they want to charge
$1/Gb!!! Doesn't it cost them something like $0.02/Gb? So it seems like
it may not be such a good idea in the long run for consumers to let this
camel's nose in the palapa. What on the surface appears a valid argument
will turn out to be a money grab.

Mike