Re: [OM] Bokeh, shmokeh [was Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varim

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh, shmokeh [was Heliar (Was: 50mm 1.8 (Re: Hoarding & Varimagni))]
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:08:27 +0200
Yikes, Moose, you are the ultimate Bokeh critic! My only salvation was
your earlier statement
that basically no 50mm lenses ever have good Bokeh, so I guess your
sentiment that the Heliar's
Bokeh is OK is actually a pretty big compliment :-)

I am surprised you don't just shoot soft-focus lenses on large format.
At least then you can still
get some semblance of resolution (unlike the crappy, but smooth,
examples you posted of e.g. the Sima
soft focus lens on the OM-4).

Happy bokeh hunting!

Dawid

On 25 Jan 2011, at 8:21 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 1/24/2011 12:34 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
>> "Cowboy Passenger"
>> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/023/d/4/cowboy_passenger_by_philosomatographer-d37vorl.jpg
>> (guess focus at min. focus distance, not a sharp image)
>
> At the risk of digging my self deeper in a bokeh hole . . . You may
> well have different tastes, opinions than those
> expressed here, but at least I can hope to make what I'm talking
> about clearer.

<snip>