[OM] Question about an Olympus FTL

Subject: [OM] Question about an Olympus FTL
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:59:33 -0500
I came across one reasonably locally (with 50/1.8), but too far away to
examine. It's in OK condition, meter works, the seals are gone and the
blades show signs of oil. So, pretty much as expected.

However - and here's the question (for John H, obviously, but perhaps
for others who have one). When I opened the battery compartment, there
was an/the battery. Took it out and all I could see in the bottom was a
black gooey-looking circular mess. The centre contact was just fine,
nice and shiny.

After some muttering under breath, I took a small screwdriver to the
black stuff, fearing the worst. To my surprise and relief it just lifted
off a chrome ring, with absolutely no sign of corrosion. So, now I have
a nice clean battery compartment with a silver ring at the bottom which
includes the centre contact. None of my older Oly cameras are similar,
all having a black (?plastic)layer with the centre contact poking through.

What gives? All I can assume is there was an insulating layer attached
to the ring. Anybody got more info?

Martin