Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 27, Issue 31

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 27, Issue 31
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:58:26 -0600
Thanks all for the excellent advice.  Ken, your suggestion of the 28/100 is
probably what I'll end up going with.  I'll forget about MF, and  I won't
bring more lenses for the Pen than will fit in my wife's purse (meaning not
many, probably just the 20/1.7 and 14-42).

Nathan, I try to carry all of my kit in a small bag, about the size of a
large lunch pail.  That way it's comfortable to hike with--and we will be
doing some hiking.

Boris, your approach is probably the most sane, but no way am I leaving the
OM at home!

Final kit will most likely look like this: OM-4T, 28/2, 100/2; E-P2, 20/1.7,
14-42mm.  The 28/2 is sharp enough wide open that I can use it with Tri-X
pushed to 1600 wide open for pretty much any low light pub shots.

My wife is fairly tolerant of my picture taking, but she does get annoyed
that we don't have a lot of pictures of us together (because I'm always the
one taking the pictures).  We'll be starting off in Dublin, then headed to
N. Ireland to visit a good friend, then across the channel to Scotland.
 Enough traveling once we're "in country" that I really will want to pack as
light as possible.  I will probably send the OM-4T to John H. for servicing
before I go, just to make sure I have a reliable camera before I leave.

>It sounds you ARE planning to take too much gear. Ireland is a country to
be enjoyed on foot. This means that you should take what will fit in a
camera bag small and light enough that you will want to carry it around all
day. I would take three lenses: a 21mm, a 50mm and either the 135mm or the
fastest 50mm you have, for pubs etc.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman