Re: [OM] Travel kit--suggestions, advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel kit--suggestions, advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:36:40 +1300
Nicholas wrote

> This August, my wife and I are taking a two week trip to Ireland.  Like
> Ken Norton, I too struggle with keeping my kit minimal while travelling.
>
> Here is what I would like to carry:
> OM-4T and OM-1n (as backup/b+w camera) with a lens for each
> Mamiya 7 w/ 80/4
> and an E-P2 for my wife and for digital snapshots.
>
> My dilemma is with which lenses to take.  I have the 21/2, 28/2, 50/1.2,
> 50/1.4, 50/3.5, 100/2, 135/3.5.  I want to go as small as possible, but
> without sacrificing quality.  I also worry about losing expensive lenses.
> I seriously considered buying a 24/2.8 *just* for this trip, but that's
> just plain GAS.
>
> So here is what I'm thinking...I can bring the 21/2 and 50/1.2 and forget
> about a tele lens.  That means though that I would at least like to have a
> tele zoom for the E-P2...the m4/3rds 40-150mm looks mighty nice.  That
> also means that if I lose my bag....yikes.
>
> The 28/2 and 135/3.5 make a good couple.  A great couple, in fact.  I've
> travelled with that combo before and thought that it was just about
> perfect.  The only problem is, I don't really like the 135/3.5 for
> landscape shots.
>
> So then I thought, 28/2 and 100/2.  But that 100/2 takes up some space....
>
> As for the E-P2, I have the Panny 20/1.7 and 14-42 kit lens, and I'm not
> planning on getting any more m4/3rds lenses unless Olympus surprises me
> with a 12mm f2 wide angle.  The 40-150mm is also attractive, but I'm not
> much of a telephoto guy.  The Pen with 20/1.7 can easily fit in my wife's
> purse, so it's not even a space consideration, but more than one or two
> more m4/3rds lenses and it might be.
>
> Here's another thought: is the Mamiya even necessary?
>
> Can anyone who has been to Ireland in the summer comment on the
> conditions, and what sort of focal lengths I'll want to use, as well as
> the photo opportunities?  I appreciate any input you guys can give me.
> What I'm trying to avoid is coming back regretting having brought so much
> gear (which was the case with the previous two long trips I went on)

My first choice for the OMs would be the Zuiko 35 ~ 105.
Don't take any notice about comments saying that zoom lenses give images
that suck.

IMO you don't get the full benefit from the 100/2 unless you use a  tripod.

The 35 ~ 105 is a great lens, quite sharp enough for most purposes ( except
the macro function, maybe) and the zoom range enables you to compose
most shots very nicely without using your feet a lot or swapping lenses. So
have than one fastened to one body.
Have your wide-angle / faster lens on the other body. I personally wouldn't
do pub shots, but that's just me, generally I do not photograph people;
maybe you do.
With only these two lenses selected you have already condensed the
number of lenses quite a bit.

Brian Swale.