Re: [OM] Two of my recent works - and loving the F/2 Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Two of my recent works - and loving the F/2 Zuikos
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:53:24 +0100
Hi Moose, Dawid and all,

From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>On 24 Jan 2011, at 11:06 AM, Moose wrote:
>> Well, the figures on the beach are ok, but the
>> buildings and trees bug me. Like there's some kind
>> of edginess hiding under the softness? Wish I could describe it
>> better.
>>
>> Yeah, it may seem I really have it in for the 90/2, but I swear I
>> looked and reacted before noticing which lens was
>> used. :-)
>
>Hmm. First of all, the bright spot on the right is not some kind of
>reflection, it's an out-of-focus light in
>the background. Honestly, Moose, for the life of me I cannot imagine a
>softer, less-edgier rendering of OOF
>areas than the 90 Macro, and I feel this is represented in my image!

I borrowed a 90/2 for a while... didn't like its ergonomics, but I have to
agree with Dawid on the OOF smoothness, with a definite transition from the
*sharp* plane of focus -- much better that the 85/2 (which I love). I've
heard the Noctilux 50/0.95 behaves in a similar way.

>Of course, the edginess you see may be due to my sharpening for web
>viewing (always a contentious topic with you! :-)

It *is* a factor.

>I guess one
>easily falls into a common trap: If one took a very wide image
>with a 21mm lens, one is often hesitant to crop away too much of that
>FOV that one "paid for"

Rule #1 of super-wide-angle use: get *much* closer ;-)

Nice pictures anyway, Dawid.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)