Re: [OM] OT: Use of verbs, was Re: olympus Digest, Vol 27, Issue 31

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Use of verbs, was Re: olympus Digest, Vol 27, Issue 31
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:35:59 -0000
Hey, no need to get personal!

No, of course I don't use "gotten", as you well know (or you wouldn't have
asked), nor do I particularly like it, but accept it, and more I value its
use by others as an indicator of how the language has developed diversely
from common origins.  Think of it as living palaeography-cum-etymology (and
hope that Bob Whitmire doesn't take offence at being given the palaeo-
prefix).

For the same reason I value the numerous malapropisms we face in everyday
usage - they are themselves a pointer to how language develops. Doesn't mean
I don't sneer at the "hiigerance" of the offenders, of course - got to
maintain my own self-importance, eh?

Piers