Re: [OM] PanaLeica 25/1.4, Was: Panny 20/1.7

Subject: Re: [OM] PanaLeica 25/1.4, Was: Panny 20/1.7
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 11:51:27 -0600
I've used the Pana/Leica 25/1.4 a bit myself. That really is one VERY
sweet lens.

The sample I've used is exceptionally sharp corner to corner even when
nearly wide open. It seems to be optimized for right around F2.
Further stopping down does nothing for sharpness, just increasing the
DoF. That's not saying it doesn't get any better, I'm saying that
there is nothing to get any better. Exceptional lens. Probably what I
like most about the lens is the color and contrast. The images have a
distinct pop to them which takes some getting used to.

I have the 14-50 (F2.8-3.5 version with the aperture ring), and that
lens is absolutely interchangeable with the 25/1.4. At equivalent
focal-length and apertures, the lenses produce identical results,
except the 25mm lacks distortion and corner vignetting. Otherwise, the
look and feel from the lenses are so close that the only way I can
tell what lens took the picture is by looking at the EXIF data. I've
contemplated getting one of these lenses for myself. It is so good
that I could probably justify some way to do it. If my friend, who has
one, needs cash or something, I might be tempted to buy it. When I
pass the CCNA I might reward myself with a computer, camera or lens.

These lenses are designed to be used on the DMC-L1. As such, they are
a far better fit on it than on the other cameras, but it balances very
well on the E-1 and E-3.

One major difference between the 25/1.4 and a Zuiko 50/1.4 is the
formula of the lens design itself. The Zuiko is a modified
Double-Gauss which flares like a fireworks display and has a rather
obnoxious bokeh. The 25/1.4, however, has a much nicer bokeh, but
still posssesses that Leica edginess.

It's a big lens, but it does balance well on the heavier bodies.

AG