Re: [OM] OT: The final straw (Apple)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The final straw (Apple)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:55:58 -0800
On 2/2/2011 12:41 PM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/02/02/179215/Apple-eBook-Rules-Changing-For-Sellers
>
> I have used Apple hardware and software for almost a decade now. It saddened
> me to see their progression from the cool, creative underdog, to an
> unethical, controlling, 1984-big-brother-esque evil empire.

Pay attention, now. You have been living in a fantasy land created by, guess
who, Apple marketing. I wonder if they
still have the positions of Evangelists in their organization? They certainly
used to. They have always sold a form of
pseudo religion in order to sell more product

My first computer was an Apple II+. One of my brothers was deeply involved in
the early days of personal computers, is
even mentioned a couple of times in Fire in the Valley, casually knew the
Steves and was deeply knowledgeable about
everything going on at the time in thy area.

When it was just the two Steves in the garage, Apple may have contemplated
being open. But that's only 'cause it had no
value as yet, Woz was still deeply involved and Jobs either hadn't fully
matured his business ideas or was smart enough
to keep them to himself 'til later.

Other than that, Apple has ALWAYS been about closed, tightly controlled,
proprietary systems. That is a big part of
Steve Jobs' business acumen. If you ever thought it was anything other than
that, you were drinking funny Kool-Aid.

This is not, by the way, an attack on Apple or Jobs, just a simple statement of
the facts. I have no particular gripes
against either. I haven't bought any Apple stuff since the II+, but any time I
find that they provide the best solution
to my needs in any area at a competitive price, I'll happily buy one.

The whole point of Apple's strategy is to maintain higher prices for something
that has the same cost. They have done it
with style, evangelism, innovation, panache,   - and proprietary systems.

Technologically Agnostic Moose