[OM] Hyper/Hypo Stereo (Re: Panny 20/1.7)

Subject: [OM] Hyper/Hypo Stereo (Re: Panny 20/1.7)
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:03:42 -0500
> Interesting... my last attempt to stereo photography used a couple of
> 35mm's, but at considerable separation -- is that 'super-stereo'?
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/3906486393/in/set-72157622329773936/>

It is called Hyper-stereo.

Normal stereo: spacing of lenses/cameras (stereo base) equal to spacing of
eyes
Hyper stereo:  stereo base >> (larger) than spacing of eyes
Hypo stereo:  stereo base << (smaller) than spacing of eyes

The impression of looking at these hyper/hypo stereos is interesting:

In a hyperstereo everything looks *smaller* as if the buildings etc. are
little model/toys, not the real thing.  In a hypostereo everything looks
larger.

To understand why in a hyperstereo everything looks smaller, consider that
your eyes are spaced equal to the cameras, i.e. maybe several feet apart.
Then you are a giant looking down at the city, or you are  regular person
and the city is a model/toy city, not the real thing.

We once had a visitor in our stereo club that looked at a hyperstereo and
absolutely refused to accept that this was a real scene.  She insisted that
it was a miniature model.  No mater what I said about hyperstereos, etc., in
the end she remained unconvinced.

The hypostereo effect is less dramatic.

These effects are unique in stereo and one of the reasons that I find this
type of photography so fascinating!

George