Re: [OM] "Affordable" perspective and landscape - was RE: MF fuji vs. Ma

Subject: Re: [OM] "Affordable" perspective and landscape - was RE: MF fuji vs. Mamiya
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:13:27 -0800
The Shen Hao cameras seem to be well thought of by the members of the large
format forum. There is an importer (Hugo Zhang?) that frequents the list.
The consensus seems to be that the build quality isn't equal to a German
camera but people are happy with them and I haven't seen ANY complaints.
Some people have even talked Shen Hao into making custom cameras for them
(uncommon sizes typically).

The 6x9 Shen Hao probably accepts Horseman and other 6x9 Graflok roll film
backs. These holders are very reliable though if the film is left in them it
can develop a curl which affects film flatness.

I've heard mixed things about the Chinese made roll film holders. It
probably comes down to being reasonably careful with it and it will work
fine but there may also be a quality control issues. Badger Graphic would
almost certainly fix any problems.

The Horseman 6x9 reflex viewer (ebay 250759676250) can be very handy. I've
never seen one for a 6x17 camera. I don't know if the Horseman viewer would
fit a Shen Hao camera.

Lenses for either 6x17 or 6x9 shouldn't be much of a problem. 180-210mm is a
normal lens for 4x5 and are pretty reasonably priced. Below about 135mm the
cost would start to climb for a lens to cover a 6x17. Longer than 210 and
lightweight starts to get expensive: a Nikkor-M or Fujinon-A 300mm f9 is a
very well thought of lens (costs about $450). A quick look shows that a
Schneider 75mm Super Angulon would sell for about $300 and would work for
6x17.

Lenses for specifically for 6x9 would be cheaper and lighter but typically
older and less common.

A 4x enlargement of 6x17 => 10" x 24" (you could put your nose on it and it
would look sharp). Large format is fun if you aren't in a hurry.

Jeff Keller