Re: [OM] Interesting generational observation

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting generational observation
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:38:23 +0100
Le vendredi 11 février 2011 06:31:42, Paul Braun a écrit :
> I think it was interesting that my first instinct was to grab a couple
> of good still shots before my brain even remembered that I could shoot
> video as well... I guess that's because I didn't really grow up in the
> "video generation" as much.  I don't even own a camcorder.  Closest I
> have is the iPhone.

I don't know wether it's truly generational or it depends on personal tastes.
My parents have used extensively super-8 cameras, then video-8 cameras,
then some other then-new technology, and now they have a thumb camera
with some kind of solid state memory (sdhc) ; well, you get the "picture".
So, there are some family films of me and my brothers since I was born, or
close enough, and now it's my nephews' turn to be recorded for posterity.

Believe it or else, I don't like film at all. It doesn't "talk" to me the way a
still
picture does. Luckily, while my father recorded the videos, my mother took
still pictures too (and quite many of them). I much prefer delving into the
albums than watch the films, even though they have been converted to DVD
by now.

Since I have the e-p1, I made about 3 minutes of film with it. Technically nice
on the 23" lcd, but not my thing at all. In fact, I can't bear the linearity of
film ;
I like to run through a stack, stop, walk back one pic at a time, search, find
something I didn't expected to remember, etc.

Just for the fun :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_N7cF6NUGAxw/S7VG7gsJyyI/AAAAAAAAFHc/Ho4bzFkxHNw/s1600/cartier_bresson_gestapo_120.jpeg

When HCB took this image, at the very moment when the woman in black,
ex-inmate of the nazis camps, recognize her warden who's trying to pose
herself as a refugee, he was shooting along a cameraman. For some reasons,
the film camera missed that action, but HCB got the perfect moment on a
still image that's iconic by itself. The news reel is now long forgotten, but
the
image is still a staple in HCB work.

--
Manuel Viet