Re: [OM] Back from Enduro India - OM 35-80/2.8 paid the priceand is stuc

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from Enduro India - OM 35-80/2.8 paid the priceand is stuck on F8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:26:35 -0500
I just voted in your survey and see that, so far, Olympus is ahead of
Canon 12 to 3.  But it's still early.

Yes, the Canon 5D's standard focus screen did conspire against me which
is why I later bought the optional manual focus screen.  But its utility
is limited since it requires f/2.8 or faster lenses and, even then I
didn't see much difference.  Today my "standard" screen is the one with
a grid.  It makes me covet a Nikon which can display a grid with any
screen.  Maybe what I really need is live view which can incorporate
these sorts of aids electronically.

But I haven't given up on Olympus yet.  I don't see ever abandoning full
frame but I can imagine adding a micro-4/3 camera to the stable.  If I
do it will be Olympus in order to gain sensor based IS.  But it will
also have a usable viewfinder as well as an articulating view screen for
ease of macro work.  Perhaps the VF-2 viewfinder meets my criteria
already.  But I've never seen one.  For that matter I've never seen any
micro-4/3 camera of any brand.  Hasn't Oly promised a pro version of the
Pen things?  Maybe that will also satisfy my concerns about focusing speed?

In any case I would eventually like something with size between a 5D and
my Samsung P&S (which can become nearly unusable in bright sun).  I'd
love to have a modern version of the Minolta A1.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt