Re: [OM] Back from Enduro India - OM 35-80/2.8 paid the priceand is stuc

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from Enduro India - OM 35-80/2.8 paid the priceand is stuck on F8
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:58:21 +0100
Le dimanche 13 février 2011 18:20:04, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> [...] I do not understand why
> you find hyperfocal work to be difficult.  I assume you're talking about
> the lack of a distance scale which (as near as I can tell) appears to be
> missing not only on the 14-42 zoom lens but on the 20/1.7 as well.

First, thank you for your detailed explanations. It's already about what I do,
and of course, it sort of works. But you're much more clear and convincing
than I can be.

I don't have much troubles working this way, but it's still quite cumbersome.
And of course, if you compare it to the Panasonic LX2 (maybe later models
too), it's completely backward. On the Pany, you go into MF mode, set your
aperture value, and you get a nice yellow slider with the focus point
highlighted and distance shown on the screen. When you focus closer or
farther, the slider representing the DOF moves ; so for a given aperture, you
just have to match the slider end with infinity, and presto! hyperfocal.

That's how it should be on µ4:3 bodies with a native compatible lens.
Everything less is completely unacceptable. I don't care for workarounds in
those days of cheap electronics and powerful software. The camera already
knows the focal length and the aperture (it's in the exif). It should be
trivial to know the focusing distance and deduce the DOF to display those
informations. Having missed that is proof that Olympus R&D is no more driven
by true photographers like Maitani San but by pure engineers & salesmen.

Cheers,

--
Manuel Viet