Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:48:37 -0600
> That's too bad. Yes a weak digital signal is useless, while a weak
> analog signal was just annoying.

Eons ago, when I was on the supply side to the industry, the joke was
that Digital Broadcasting was a solution looking for a problem.
Especially on the radio side, we could easily implement modern
technologies which would make it actually better than digital could
ever be. But that would have required the manufactures of receivers to
actually do something other than build pure junk.

Shoot, we couldn't even get them to put the stereo decoder chip in the
AM receivers! Other than AC Delco, I don't think there were more than
three radios available that received AM stereo. That is also another
shame because the stereo encoding actually improved range.

Anyway, the predictions for what digital television was going to do
pretty well happened. The broadcasters themselves are now sitting on
multimillion dollar infractructure with little revenue to pay for it.
What was not understood up front, however, was just how easy the
public fully embraced paying money for what was free.

AG