Re: [OM] CF card transfer to PC- why so slow?

Subject: Re: [OM] CF card transfer to PC- why so slow?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:00:52 -0800
On 2/15/2011 3:52 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Took almost 5 hours to transfer 28 GB from CF cards to PC using Sandisk
> Extreme III and the Canyon software via an old USB gizmo.
> Suspect the cards/software to import/ interface may be important in the
> transfer. Interestingly the direct Windoz transfer didn't seem to change the
> archive bit state.
> Perhaps something like this  would be faster?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4vqgsql

Certainly would be. I have three of the USB 2.0 version, one with microSD and
two without. They work very well. I also
paid MUCH less for them on the 'Bay. As I recall, the last two were $2-3 @,
including shipping.

Another, neater solution is a built-in reader. You need the right header plug
on the motherboard and a spare 3.5" bay
with front panel access. My desktop came with one, but it was stone slow, USB
1.1, I suppose. I bought a new one on
Amazon for maybe $20 (?), cheap anyway, and it works great. I can plug in any
of my various sorts of cards without
hanging something off the USB ports.

Moose