Re: [OM] Budget Debates

Subject: Re: [OM] Budget Debates
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:37:57 -0800
Americans still think they can "have it all," so they're unwilling to give up
anything.

Reminds me of the monkey trap: a gourd with hole in it big enough to get an
empty monkey hand into, but not big enough to get a hand clutching a food
morsel out. The damn fool monkey will not let go of the food, even as its
hunter comes and harvests it for dinner.

The US is a monkey with it's hand in the gourd. Americans are unwilling to give
up Social Security or cheap food or cheap gas, and their corporate masters are
unwilling to give up the military industrial complex.

The US is going down. I think it's just a few years away from an
Iceland/Greece/Ireland meltdown, and less than a decade away from an Egypt
scenario.

The Egyptians are so screwed! Keep in mind, the protests throughout the Moslem
world all began over food. Pundits claim it's about democracy... ha! People
with full bellies don't protest. Democracy is, after all, two wolves and a
sheep, voting on what to have for dinner.

Egypt, once an OPEC country, now imports oil, along with 40% of its food. The
US is now a net importer of food, although not close to 40%... yet.

I think Robert Heinlein was talking about the US in this random quote: