Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Relic
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:48:45 -0500
At 12:28 PM 2/16/2011, Chris Barker wrote:
>I like digital radio, but not in my car (for instance).  Analogue
>has a greater range and requires less power in the receiver, so
>battery-powered radios are a dead loss.

Digital radio is quite interesting here in the Philadelphia area -
we've become sort of a hotbed of HD radio, with many stations
available in AM and FM (HD stands - or stood - for Hybrid Digital,
not high definition).  As Ken mentioned, the iBiquity IBOC (in band,
on channel) system used overlays (simulcasts) the digital signal on
top of the analog frequency.  For example, 90.1 is the classical FM
station here, and on an analog radio, you get the normal FM feed.  On
a HD-equipped radio, you also get the classical stream on subchannel
90.1-1 and a jazz stream on 90.1-2.  HD FM sounds close to CD quality
and HD AM sounds close to analog FM quality.  Some AM stations
rebroadcast on an FM stream as well as on AM HD - KYW news radio
(1060AM) also appears as AM 1060-1 and as FM station 94.1-2 on its
sister FM rock station WYSP.

This all works very well, and when I get to the fringes of the
digital signal where it starts to crap out, I just hit the "analog
only" button on my car radio and it goes back to being an
old-fashioned AM/FM stereo radio.  Very interesting
technology.  Since stopping analog signals under this system would
not free up any bandwidth, there are currently no plans to do so like
they did with HDTV.

Steve Troy