Re: [OM] Orion 500/5.6, was: Zuiko 500/8 mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Orion 500/5.6, was: Zuiko 500/8 mirror
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:31:09 -0800
On 2/16/2011 3:25 PM, Moose wrote:
> Oh yes! Content-Aware Fill is a real game changer that should be in any book
> on restoration and retouching.
>
> Occasionally, it does something really wacky that leaves me scratching my
> head. Most of the time, though, it's like
> magic that can save huge amounts of time.
I posted the following on another list, after a list reader asked for
some tips.

  This is for the spot healing brush with content aware selected.
1:  Do not hurry the clicks.  When clicking on a spot, don't move the
cursor immediately.  Wait until the original cursor returns.  Usually a
second or two.  I know that I tend to get going and just click, click,
click.  I kind of got in that habit with the old healing brush and the
clone brush.
2:  When working near a line such as a fold in fabric or a lapel or a
seam, do not attempt to heal near the line.  Instead, use a somewhat
larger brush that spans the line and includes the spot that you want to
remove.  Takes some experimentation and practice.
3:  When removing a line such as a scratch or an unwanted power line or
such, use as small a brush as you can be comfortable with.  It helps to
use the shift key along with the mouse button for lines.  Click/shift,
then while holding the shift, release the mouse button and move the
cursor to the end of the line and click again.  Sometimes, particularly
if the line is long, it helps to remove it in sections.  Try to keep
from ending the line removal in an area with detail.  If possible,
continue the healing line past the detail into an area with minimal detail.
4:  Do not use the spot healing brush for larger areas.  The Content
Aware Fill works better for that.

The content aware does not work well every time.  However, I have found
that working with the above rules helps immensely.  And when it fails,
the History panel works well to undo. LOL  Also, the content-aware does
not do the same thing over and over.  Sometimes, another try will get
good results.

Russell Brown has some pretty good tutorial, once you get by his goofy
sense of humor. VBG
I am inclined to think that a number of people tend to give up too
quickly on the content aware thing.  One needs to try to see how
Photoshop would look at the content around the area and make the
selection accordingly.  If that makes sense. LOL

To add to this, I think it helps to kind of try to visualize what
content aware is looking at tor the actual content aware thing.  Sure
would be nice if Adobe would add the ability to exclude certain areas
from consideration.  Maybe in the next version.  There is a Russell
Brown tutorial that shows how to exclude an area.  It is a bit
convoluted, although it does work well.  Can't remember just where it is
at the moment. LOL
There  are a couple of examples of my messing around at:
<http://www.pbase.com/pelaughlin/stuff&page=3>
Paul in Portland oR