Re: [OM] (OM) Record of Andrew's trans-Tasman visit

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Record of Andrew's trans-Tasman visit
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:17:56 +1300
Moose wrote

> Does the E-3 have a "washed Out" setting? :-)
>
> Couldn't resist doing some "content aware" clean-up of car, lamp posts and
> buoy.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Lake_Wakatipu_1.htm> -
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Lake_Wakatipu_2.htm> -
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Andrew&Brian.htm>
>
> > You missed your chance to borrow a few pounds from Andrew.  :-)
>
> One may do that in PS too .

Hmm, Moose, you'll just have to visit and see the range of possible tonalities
for yourself.

Firstly, I didn't stalk these pics. These are strictly point and shoot with
some
after-the-event (mostly) mild editing. If I wanted to do classic landscapes
from these spots I'd have chosen different light conditions. This was late
sunny afternoon with no / little cloud. The sun direction gave maximum
"washed out", with *no* modelling shadows..

In two cases (except the Walter Peak shot, Hotel frontage and the hand-
glider) I have added modest saturation using FastStone.
NZ rocks do not have that degree of red in them (neither does my skin !!)
and NZ late summer indigenous grasses do not have the degree of
yellow/gold inserted in the Lake Wakatipu shot. The tonalities are just
different. I've seen USA grasses in that kind of light between the big dam
and the sea on the shores of the ?Columbia river E of Portland Oregon.
Their colours are different from ours.
At the time I was amazed that grasses could be the colour they were.

I did notice that the shot of Walter peak had UV-type blue-ness and did not
try and correct / alter it.

The shot of Andrew and me was taken using on-camera flash. The image
from the camera was too dark, when I lightened it up, it needed saturation
(applied) but I did not alter the basic colours. I cropped it.

I just wanted to place the "portrait" in some kind of context for his visit. :-)

Brian Swale.