[OM] GF1, M8, OS X and colour spaces -- Help!!!

Subject: [OM] GF1, M8, OS X and colour spaces -- Help!!!
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:53:56 +0100
Hi all,

Since I'm about to start scanning large batches of negatives & slides, I'd
like to get things (as close to) right before it's "too late"...

The facts: I use a Mac Mini (Core2Duo) with PhotoShop CS5 (Academic License)
and recently updated (very reluctantly, BTW) to OS X 10.5.8 "Leopard" from
10.4.11 "Tiger". My display is a LG L1910S, which I like very much.

Since being an Apple user (1995, actually when I started with colour
displays!) I have calibrated my screens by "eyeballing" them with the
supplied utilities -- including the old Adobe Gamma many moons ago. My
workflow may be a bit odd, but so far I have been pleased with the results.

However, since I upgraded to Leopard, I noticed something weird: the pics
from my Panny GF1 look _too_ dark -- I mean much darker than the camera's
LCD (which is indeed a very fine screen with notable gamut, looks like a
small IPS panel). I have just  "resurrected" my old machine (with Tiger) and
GF1 JPEGs seem to look good right from the start.

You can see a screen capture of my experiments at:

<http://cjss.sytes.net/post/spaces.png> (992 KiB, profiled for my display)

or

<http://cjss.sytes.net/post/spaces.jpg> (152 KiB, converted to sRGB)

Both look exactly the same on my screen, but the JPEG version should be
better on older, non-colour-aware browsers.

1) The bottom-right window (P1290005.JPG) is the picture file straight from
the camera... OK, that's a stark contrast, but it definitely looks *dark* --
that is, darker than the GF1's LCD. Finder previews and info windows look
dark as well.

2) The top-right window shows the same file as uploaded (from a Windows PC)
to FaceBook -- not a photographer's site, I know, but looks equally dark on
the Safari 5.0.3 browser window.

3) The top-left window is the _very same_ file again, but uploaded (from my
own computer) to Flickr, shown again on a Safari 5.0.3 browser window...
Things are getting funny now, this time it looks *OK*, much like on the
GF1's LCD, although my LG shows more highlight detail -- a merit of my
display, anyway.

4) Finally, the bottom-left picture (P1290005 pro.JPG) is a copy of the file
open in OS X's Preview app, but after assigning my screen's profile... it
then looks as it should, the *same* as in Flickr (but I didn't upload the
*profiled* pic, just the original!)

There's even more "fun" with videos: the GF1 records a JPEG picture of the
first frame of the video besides the MOV file itself -- I use M-JPEG format,
suitable for QuickTime. Finder preview shows that JPEG _dark_, while the MOV
looks great, also while playing it with QuickTime Player...

Then there's the Leica M8 -- no matter how nice it is, its LCD and
processing engine are rather poor, so no in-camera reliable reference here.
I shoot exclusively RAW (DNG) with it, which is necessarily linked to
AdobeRGB space -- not that I'm very keen on it, but never mind. Fortunately,
this format is natively supported by OS X and even more nicely rendered by
Adobe Camera Raw 6.3.

Well, these pictures look _gorgeous_ to me -- either in Finder previews or
developed in ACR. Are these rich, deep colours a byproduct of a "darkish"
image? I don't know for sure. Anyway, they look just as great when uploaded
to Flickr. The only problem is when looking at them on an old,
non-colour-aware browser -- where they show the usual flatness of
misrendered AdobeRGB files.

Is any owner of a GF1 experiencing something similar? Am I missing
something? What's your workflow?

And then, what will be the situation with scans from my CanoScan 9950F?
There's a lot of options out there...

[Mandatory OM content: I'll scan a lot of film taken with OM cameras ;-)]

Thanks to all in advance. Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)