Re: [OM] Color Balance Conundrum --JPEG was more correct?

Subject: Re: [OM] Color Balance Conundrum --JPEG was more correct?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:49:12 -0800
On 2/20/2011 7:41 PM, bill pearce wrote:
> There's no shortage of portable grey and white cards out there, along with
> the ping pong ball thingiess that screw on the lens for WB. I think the best
> would be on with a black and white square, that you can use with the
> eyedropper.

Well, I have one of those thingies, with black, white and neutral gray. They
are quite useful, if you want the image to
look like it was shot in clear skied daylight. And indeed, they will correct
for lens coloration - in that light.

If, however, you want to take out the lens effect while retaining the actual
light in other conditions, the most
practical, reliable, repeatable solution is to take a test shot of a color
calibration target and create a color profile
for the lens.

I did a sample for Mike, using a warming filter to simulate lens color bias,
and correcting it as above, I thought it
worked rather well.

"That was too much work--need to remember to shoot some reference with that
lens." He just hasn't, remembered, or found
the time to make the profile, yet. :-)

Moose