[OM] Color Balance Conundrum --JPEG was more correct?

Subject: [OM] Color Balance Conundrum --JPEG was more correct?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:59:48 -0500 (EST)
"That was too much work--need to remember to shoot some reference with
that
lens." He just hasn't, remembered, or found
the time to make the profile, yet. :-)

Moose

Oh, I just got put off by the multiple steps and complications.  Had a
few e-mail exchanges with a guy who did the profiles for DXO--he said
it took
him 150 shots to get 3 usable ones.  He suggested a preset in the HSL
tabs by shooting a white paper with a "neutral lens" and the culprit
macro lens---doesn't seem to always do the job.
One of the calibration programs Wolf Faust likes is LoCA (that one is
free) and better than the simple matrix correction of vuescan.  It does
not seem to create
profiles that can be used by DXO. ugh.  I has since again paid my Adobe
dues (educational discount at least :-))  and seem to like to use ACR
anyway for non-supported lenses.
I still don't like the autocrop after lens corrections in DXO and have
trouble having it leave shadows alone, if I want that.

Anyway I think this French  firm offers targets and ?software that
works with PS and DXO but is about 4 times the price.  It appears they
had something to do with DXO's development.
Anyway I was taken aback by the ACR color rendition that was waay worse
than the in camera Jpeg for that shot.  The lens color cast is only a
problem with warmer subjects---a deep yellow daylily was rendered
almost grungy.  I think I am inclined to use the Wolf Faust target and
use ACR but I got flustered and ran out of steam/time after all the
work above.

http://www.cmp-color.fr/eng%20digital%20target.html

Not yet fully calibrated, Mike