[OM] (OM) OT Earthquake in Christchurch NZ

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Earthquake in Christchurch NZ
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:09:16 +1300
24 hours before the latest heavy shake I was in Christchurch at the funeral
of an old friend. Then I drove 500 km south with a 4x4 full of stuff ...  That
was Monday.

Earthquake was 12.55 noon Tuesday.

I was due back there to open up a house for a furniture mover to take my
piano, electronic organ and some other furniture items south, on
Wednesday pm (tomorrow) or Thursday am.  Now I am unable to check if
the building has or has not collapsed and my stuff is OK; the phones in that
suburb are out, and I can not contact my old neighbours in this exact
locality.

My previous family home on the hill above has apparently lost several large
windows that face the city and mountains, and one wall with a chimney has
suffered damage. Don't have any more detail.

All my 6 family members, and all friends that I have heard about, are
undamaged, BUT the old Van Asch homestead that was the centre of the
motel complex of my middle brother Ian, has collapsed. Google "Country
Glen Lodge, Bealey Avenue" that should bring up its former glory ( I have
not tried this myself (ie, don't try this at home ... ), but I do know he has a
site).

At least one friend with a lovely double brick bed and breakfast place in the
City Centre, has her place trashed by this last big shake; but she is OK.

Brian Swale.