Re: [OM] Chalk Lake B&W again

Subject: Re: [OM] Chalk Lake B&W again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:28:01 -0800
On 2/18/2011 9:40 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose's crop is nearly identical to my two final choices. I went back and
> forth on it for some time. I think both work. I ended up selecting the one
> shown because it was more true to the original vision/intent.
> By cropping tighter, it loses the "sound" of the flowing water to the left.
> The original gives the auditory system something to do. The cropped version
> so deemphasized the flowing water that the scene became silent except for the
> sound of the crickets.

Interesting, the difference between one who took it or was there vs. one
viewing it without that full physical context.
Chalk Lake is without sound or flowing water - to me. Labeled as a lake, and
without any visual clues about moving water
that would make noise, I can't know that. So my reaction is the one a gallery
or web viewer unfamiliar with the subject
might well have.

It's from that viewpoint that I chose the tighter crop.

On 2/5/2011 11:15 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  I enjoyed the tour, but the shots of the beach and breakers,
> such as 2524, are rather atmospheric.  I used to live in hot countries, near
> the sea (Bahrain, Mukalla and Aden come to mind) and it reminds me of a happy
> childhood.

Here, I know the water is quite cold, 52F, 11C, but absent that knowledge, it
reminds Chris of warm beaches.
(The water is also treacherous along this beach, or so I have been warned.
Rogue waves carry off the occasional unwary
person or dog.)

Moose