Re: [OM] Formerly Wrought and Cast Iron, Now Damascus Steel Knives

Subject: Re: [OM] Formerly Wrought and Cast Iron, Now Damascus Steel Knives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:35:18 -0500
I'd heard of it before but never knew anything about Damascus steel.
This Wiki article (although containing some apparently unverified
claims) is still an interesting read.  Most interesting to me is that
the original production technique (which dates to the middle ages)
appears to have been lost to history.  Modern methods are thought to
replicate the appearance but not necessarily all the properties.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel>

Chuck Norcutt